Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Easy as π!

I don't bake.  (And I'm a nerd, so if you don't get the math reference, sorry. LOL)

I can bake, but I almost always burn things or screw them up because I can't stand measuring things.  I'm of the mind that I should be able to throw a bunch of things in a pot/bowl/pan/pot and it will either work out great or not.

Today, however, I decided to throw caution to the wind and bake something I've never made before.  After a quick trip to the grocery store and three packages of strawberries later (What?!  They were on sale!  Yes, I know that the Hubby and I will never eat that many strawberries before they go bad, but seriously!  YUM!)

Anyway, I decided to make strawberry pie.  The ones my mum has always made involve that gelatin stuff that you have to refrigerate - tastes fake and is way too sweet.  I figure baking a strawberry pie should be no different from any other type of pie, hypothetically anyway.  So I jumped in with both feet like I do with everything else, and went for it.  I didn't use a recipe - those are for suckers!!  I threw a bunch of stuff into a pie crust and hoped for the best!

The result?  DELICIOUS warm strawberry pie served with French vanilla ice cream.  Best Tuesday night desert ever and a taste of summer sun!  Hope you enjoy!



Baked Strawberry Pie

Two packages of strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced into bite size pieces
Two frozen pie crusts (ie: tenderflake) thawed (or use your own dough, Ms. Fancy-Pants!)
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch

Place sliced up berries in a bowl.  Add sugar and let stand for 20 minutes.  In a separate bowl, toss in the cornstarch.  Drain the strawberries letting the juice drip onto the cornstarch.  Whisk the sugary juice and cornstarch until lumps disappear.  

Using a fork, poke holes in one of the pie crusts and fill with the berries.  It should be heaping.  Use your hands to pack gently.  Pour the juice & cornstarch mixture over the berries until you can just see it around the edges.  You will not need it all - don't discard extra!  Save it!  

Flip the other thawed pie crust on a floured counter or parchment paper.  Use your hands to flatten into a circle.  Using a knife, cut the pie crust into strips of whatever width you want.  Use this to make a basket weave on the top of the pie.  

Using the left over juice/cornstarch mixture, brush over the top of the basket weave and sprinkle with a palm full of sugar.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until top is browned, berries are soft and the juice looks to be more "jelly" like.  

Serve WARM with French vanilla ice cream!  Enjoy!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment