Thursday, August 19, 2010

Presto....Pesto!


I love to cook.

I'm not one of those "follow a recipe" type of people either, I'm a, "throw it all in a pot and hope for the best," kinda girl.

Tonight, I cooked for my husband for the first time in our marriage.  Kind of sad seeing as we've been married for almost a week, but true.  It's hard to cook for anyone when you're barely home.

Suffice it to say that I felt like I had to go big.  My husband loves Italian food, but more specifically anything involving pesto.  So, I decided to try something new - and it turned out great!  Hope you enjoy!

Chicken Penne Primavera

Boil up some pasta - cook until al dante.
In a large sauce pan (or wok) heat some EVOO and brown one or two chicken breasts.  Remove.

Saute the following in the same pan:
1 Onion
1 Small Zuccini (yellow or green)
1/2 a Green Pepper
5-8 Mushrooms (your choice), sliced
2 roasted red peppers (from a jar)
4 artichoke hearts (from a can) halfed or quartered
2 roma tomatoes, cut into chunks

When the veggies have leaked all their juices into the pan/wok (whatever), add two very heaping tablespoons of pesto (fresh is better, but it works from a jar too) and mix together.  Add the chicken and heat.

Mix the veggie, chicken and pesto mixture with pasta in the pan & serve...with lots of fresh Parmesan/Asiago cheese.

It always makes way too much, but is always great for lunches the next day.

YUM!

It must have been good, he has passed out on the couch.


No comments:

Post a Comment