Sunday, January 30, 2011

Peace, Love and Lotus Flowers

Last night, I got a tattoo.

Unlike the first one I got, which was the result of a bit too much to drink (though, as a true doctor of spin, I will make you think I got it for all kinds of deep, philosophical reasons), this one is actually quite symbolic.

As you may know from reading previous posts, I am not a religious person.  

I would consider myself a spiritual person who believes in loving yourself and others enough to treat them, and their beliefs, with respect, doing your best to be the best person you can be and finding pleasure and beauty in the chaos that is life as we know it.

The only time I have felt any sort of spiritual connection has been in dealing with certain people - those who within minutes of knowing them I feel like I've know them for an eternity.  My grandma calls it being an "old soul."  I call it the closest thing to God that I have ever known.  

I had resigned myself to believe that deep spirituality that goes by so many earthly names was just something I would never understand, but I was wrong.  

While in Korea, I visited a Buddhist temple in the heart of Seoul.  I'm not sure if it was the magic of being transported to a silent spot in a city that is always moving, or if I was being touched by Buddha himself, but the feeling was unmistakable.  As I walked around that place, I stood in deep awe.  For the first time in as long as I could remember, I felt at peace.  It's a feeling I get only fleeting glimpses of now, but the impact was immeasurable.

It is for this reason that I chose to get a lotus tattoo.  To remind me of the peace I found in that tiny monastery, and remind me to keep seeking that peace in my everyday life.

In Buddhism, the lotus flower means purity of speech, mind and body which is why it can be seen in many pieces of Buddhist art. The colours of the flower are used to represent aspects of perfection - pink being symbolic of Buddha himself, purple signifying mysticism.

I have always had an affinity for flowers, but one that is so symbolic of my own personal experience as well as things I hope to achieve - it's utter perfection.

I have been told to let it heal before he goes back in to adjust things - but I'm very pleased with the result.  Thanks to Piero Corradetti of Beauty is Pain in Woodville - he does amazing work.  Check out their website at www.beautyispain.ca

Enjoy a few shots from that life changing trip and one of my new addition.

And, though it might sound a bit hippy-dippy...

Peace and love, people.  
Peace and Love
xo

  



Enjoy a few shots from that life changing trip and one of my new addition.

And, though it might sound a bit hippy-dippy...

Peace and love, people.  
Peace and Love
xo







No comments:

Post a Comment